I am currently getting prepared to be able to do a full time job on the security aspects of a network on either the government(most prefered) or a private company in the enxt 5 years.
How should I get prepared to be a good security professional and to land the jobs?
- Currently I am working for a company of hotels doing general IT and telephony duties. Currently administer by myself 4 hotels and 3 offices along with 2 other hotels freelancing. Used to do side jobs for over 12 years now (computer repair and network troubleshooting).
- Currently I am Comptia A+, Network+, Security+ and Server+ certified.
- Bachelors in Information Technology, network administration concentration 3.9 GPA.
- Taking my 70-270 next week and hopefully turning MCSE in the next 5 months.
- Speak spanish, english and learning japanese.
- Have novice experience on linux and unix.
- Novice experience programing in visual basic.
- Experience repairing and programing phone systems (PBX).
- Experience in electronics both for home and for circuit including soldering.
Here are my plans for the future:
- Finish my MCSA and MCSE.
- Get linux certified and hopefully do about 50% of my computer time on linux.
- Learn some C, dont know what other language could help me.
What should I add to my plans? Where should be be moving in the career ladder? Could someone with experience on the security area guide me on what should I do in the next 5 to 10 years?