Orphan user profile transfer in Vista.
Posted on 2007-10-05
OK gang, I have already used a workaround but I ended up losing some data and irritiating my customer so I need to know if there are any other options.
Domain controller for domain.co.uk went down and was replaced. The replacement was built for a new domain, domain.local. While the new server was being ordered and built the users were managing to logon to workstations with cached profiles (which were obviously now orphaned). Once the new server was in we went to every PC and did the following steps (XP machines only)
1. Log in as orphaned user (which has local admin) and reset local administrator password.
3. Log in as local administrator.
4. Rename folder for orphaned user to user-old.
5. Join PC to new domain.
7. Log in as relevant user on new domain.
9. Log in as local admin.
10. Copy (after changing view settings etc) everything from user-old to the folder "user" (which was created by logging on as the domain user in step 7).
11. Make domain users on new domain local administrators and remove orphaned SIDs.
13. Log on as domain user.
We then messed around with moving around mail etc from their .pst files (stored in the user's local settings on the local machine) to the new exchange accounts.
Problem happened when we tried the same thing on the Vista machine. How would you folks do this in Vista Business?