I have a media server in my home, and I would like to manage it remotely from one of my other home PCs. A couple of years ago I used RealVNC, but it was on a couple of XP PCs, and it seemed to work fairly good, but I wanted to get the opinion of others before committing to purchase a specific application. Can you guys give me a couple of suggestions on the software you have tried; specifically the one that has worked best for you?
Here are environment variables/requirements:
- I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate on both my main PC and my media server and Windows Vista Enterprise on my Laptop.
- I have Gigabit and wireless draft N networking
- Only my laptop uses passwords for user access, and I really don't want to add passwords to my two PCs, which is why I am pretty much ruling out Windows Remote Desktop, and Vista does not have NetMeeting like XP did.
- I do not care if the software will allow me to connect via the Internet, as I really only need it for use within my home LAN so I don't have to use a KVM.
- It would be nice if the application has nice quality, since I have such a hi bandwidth network.
- I am not concerned with price, but I want a one time fee not a subscription fee as with Go-To-My-PC
- I'm guessing that an installed app will work better than a browser based app such as with Go-To-My-PC
Thank you in advance for your help, Jon