Currently we have a sbs2003 network with internal mail (.local). we would like to get rid of everyones .local address and configure it for their .com address. can you please let me know what i need to do to achieve this? here is what Im thinking so far:
1. at their domain registrar have the mail. point to their public static ip address. have the mx record be mail.theirdomain.com
2. forward port 25 to sbs2003 server on firewall
3. in exchange system manager go to recipients -> recipient policies and go into the default policy and change the .local address to the .com address. (is this necessary?)
4. go into each user account and make sure they have theirdomain.com email address in the list, make it default address.
5. configure smarthost to route mail through their isp (verizon)
Based on these steps, when their server gets mail destined to theirdomain.com it will route it to the appropriate mailbox?
What else do I need to do?