SQL Server does not allow remote connections - VISTA Ultimate, SQL 2005, VS 2005
Posted on 2007-10-11
When my Web application tries to connect to SQL I receive the following error message:
"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the
default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections."
I have wiped my machine and reinstalled the OS from the manufacturer-supplied recovery disk. I have installed SQL 2005 (Dev) and VS 2005 (Dev) on a new VISTA Ultimate machine, running 64-bit. I have tried numerous solutions to this issue from here and from Google.
1. I am ruining everything as administrator
2. My SQL Installation is a named installation.
2. In the Configuration Manager, all six of my Services are running, including SQL Server Browser.
3. TCP/IP and Named Pipes are Enabled in all of the available Protocol dialogs.
4. I have stopped and started all the services and rebooted my machine numerous times.
5. I have checked all the settings in the Surface Area Manager as well - they seem to jive with the Configuration Manager.
6. I am using Windows Authentication, and LocalHost
7. I am at my wits end, and after 15 years, seriously considering a new line of work.
ANY suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time and attention.