Installing McAfee Anti Virus - ePO in corporate environment
Posted on 2007-10-15
Our Symantec Enterprise Edition subscription expired recently and we decided to switch to McAfee's Corporate Anti Virus. I am trying to roll out the new McAfee solution to our clients, but I had a few questions I was hoping to get answers on. It appears that before I roll out the Anti virus to our clients, I need to install this software called ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO). I called McAfee tech support to find out if it can be installed on a domain controller, but he said it should be installed on another server...other than the domain controller. He had to put me on hold to find out this answer, and didn't know why it couldn't be installed on a DC. There was some language barrier as well, so I wasn't too impressed with their support right off the bat.
I have a simple server setup in our office - 1 Windows 2003 Domain Controlller which is also our main file server, and 1 Windows 2003 member server running Exchange 2003. We have about 50 client machines...mostly XP Pro and a few W2K Pro. I don't have a secondary member server or secondary domain controller so I went ahead and tried to install it on our Domain controller. Well, before it actually installed, there was a message about the install of SQL 2005 Express checkbox being disabled. It gave a few reason why it did this, and then on the next couple of screens, it asked me what database I wanted to connect too. I didn't know I had any databases, but it gave me an option to connect to MYSERVER\BKUPEXEC. I assume Backup Exec uses some sort o SQL server that McAfee is trying to associate with. Well, I haven't had Backup Exec installed on this server for the last two years. Prior to that, we did have Backup Exec installed, but I removed it two years ago. I am guessing that the un-install of Backup Exec didn't remove the SQL engine/database and it thinks there is still one on my server. I have no idea how to tell it to not use that and create it's own, but I just ended up cancelling the installation. So here are a few more specific questions:
1) Should I buy another license of W2K3 Server and just create a member server or secondary domain controller to host the McAfee ePO software?
2) Since I have a fairly small office with only 50 client machines, is there a way I can simply manually install this McAfee Antivirus to each machine without running some sort of server software? Or is this a bad idea as I won't have any sort of central management?
3) Does anyone know of a McAfee users forum where I can see and post questions specifically related to our new McAfee AV product? I checked their support site, but there didn't seem to be any sort of user forum to post questions.
4) What do I need to do with my Exchange server to make sure it is protected and that our incoming (and outgoing mail) is also filtered before it gets to our users?
5) I just want anti virus protection on two servers and my 50 client machines...is there a simple tutorial somewhere that can tell me my installation options and take me through a simple step by step procedure (I don't mean step by step like "insert the CD rom...right click this"...I can get past the basic instructions).