I am trying to mount a Network Attached Storage device onto a RedHat Enterprise Linux system (RHEL3), and am having some security issues. Here's what I've done:
- I create a folder in /mnt/terra
- I assign full security rights for everyone to this folder (chmod 777 /mnt/terra)
- I mount the file system (mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.3/data -o username=user,password=password)
After I do this, the folder /mnt/terra changes back to permissions: rwrr_xr_w, which doesn't let attached non-root users write to it.
I've also tried after the above commands:
- creating a folder /home/terra
- setting permissions on /home/terra (chmod 777 /home/terra)
- Creating a symbolic link to /mnt/terra (ln -s /home/terra /mnt/terra)
And my users get the same LACK of permissions.
Can anyone shed some light on this, I really need to get this storage space online.