iexplorer.exe (v6 & v7) crashes in unknown module, with inconsistent causes even with no add-ons
Posted on 2007-10-16
Starting last week several of my users have started experiencing crashes in iexplore.exe. This happens at different times for different users, and doesn't affect all users, nor did it start happening at the same time.
Some symptoms (not common to all instances):
* ModName: unknown in all cases
* home-page loads okay, any subsequent page crashes
* all pages okay apart from one
* everything fine unless a new tab opened
* everything fine unless [alt]+[tab] to another app (I think whenever IE looses focus)
* same user can usually use another computer okay (roaming profiles in use)
All hardware is the same, built using the same image, and patched from the same WSUS source. Operating System is Windows XP SP2.
* Applied all fixes from Windows Update (there were only a few seemingly unrelated ones)
* Scanned using HijackThis (results available, but very little listed and analysis sites flagged nothing)
* Scanned using AdAware (nothing found apart from a stack of tracking cookies)
* Upgraded user to IE7
* Used IE7's "reset to defaults" feature
* Started IE7 in safe (no add-ons) mode
The final one seems to work, but I can't see any addons in there that everybody else hasn't got, and the users don't seem to have permissions to disable addons so I've not been able to follow some of the steps in KB936213.