Need advice for new purchase, incl. shared storage, and servers for a new Virtualization project
Posted on 2007-10-16
I am working on putting a plan together to purchase/lease new hardware for an upcoming server virtualization project. This will include at least 2 servers, MS Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise, and shared storage. I currently have 8 physical servers that I am attempting to virtualize as best as possible.
Medium to Heavy use (I'm probably overestimating by saying heavy)
1. Terminal services server that about 75 people login to, to run a custom Cobol application.
2. ImageRight server which contains 500gb+ of small image files, a 30gb SQL database, and 150-200gb of various files.
1. VM Server housing one domain controller, one print server, two application servers (1 is Desktop Authority, the other 1 is a minor application).
2. VM Server housing one domain controller
3. Application server housing 60gb SQL database server
4. Facsys fax server
5. Backup server connected to VTL and tape device
6. Application server housing 100 user My Documents, and a few other minor applications
Virtual Iron is the front runner for virtualization software, simply because it is the best performing, and is much less expensive, when compared to VMware.
I've done some researching on hardware, but didn't want to mention it here, as I don't want to push anyone in one direction or another.
Here's what I'd like suggestions on:
1. Server hardware
2. Shared storage
3. Any misc. tips/tricks regarding my situation.
Thank you all in advance.