Two Domain Controllers in Different Subnets
Posted on 2007-10-17
We currently have a Small Business Server 2003 as our primary domain controller at our main office. We also have a Server 2003 as a secondary domain controller. The secondary domain controller serves as a backup DNS server and a file server. These two domain controllers sit on the same network and subnet.
What we are planning to do is to move the backup domain controller to an off-site location. We will set the server up on the remote site with a constant VPN connection through a SonicWALL to our main office. It will be on a different network., obvously, because VPN requires that the host and client be on different networks.
My question is:
- Will this be ok for our active directory?
- Is there any setup required in Active Directory Sites and Services in order to tell AD that its secondary domain controller has moved to a different network?
- Is there any way we can tell our client machines to try to authenticate to the (local) primary domain controller before it goes out to the secondary (For bandwidth reasons)?
- If our primary fails, will there be any needed interaction for all the computer to switch to the secondary controller?
- Also, this is kind of off topic but: We are going to be using an access database on the remote side constantly, by multiple users, say about 20. Does this sound like too much for a T1 to handle or not?