Alternative to Querystring in GetXmlHttpObject - large form values.

Posted on 2007-11-15
Last Modified: 2011-10-03
Am using ajax to save a form. A textarea field of the form is replaced by a WYSIWYG editor.

The following code seemed to work great, posting the contents of the textarea/editor to the 'ajax-content.asp' page, seamlessly updating the database using the URL variables.   Now found that if the  textarea/editor gets too long the code no longer works.  Presume this is connected to the length limit of querystrings posted via the URL .

Is there a way round this?
var xmlHttp
if (xmlHttp==null)
  alert ("Your browser does not support AJAX!");
var url="ajax-content.asp";
var MM_recordId = Form1.MM_recordId.value;
var inpContent = oEdit1.getHTMLBody();

Open in new window

Question by:daimo1
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 4
  • 2
LVL 75

Expert Comment

by:Michel Plungjan
ID: 20288984
Since you use post, you do not have a querystring

Author Comment

ID: 20289403
Probably my misunderstanding. The variables are passed via the URL, which is the issue. Is there another way to pass the variables?
LVL 75

Expert Comment

by:Michel Plungjan
ID: 20289518
I would try
1. post the actual form to a hidden frame or

2. Go get extjs or prototype.js
Then post the form using the tested ajax they use
The Orion Papers

Are you interested in becoming an AWS Certified Solutions Architect?

Discover a new interactive way of training for the exam.

LVL 51

Expert Comment

ID: 20291177"POST",url,true);

# where a, b and c are your variables and 1,2,3 the corresponding values (inpContent or whatever)
# don't forget to remove it from the URL

Author Comment

ID: 20291834
Tried your example and, in part, works. The length of the field isn't an issue anymore.  The only trouble is that all the spacing is lost between words, e.g 'Hello There'  turns into 'HelloThere'. when the xmlHttp is passed.
Any ideas?
LVL 51

Expert Comment

ID: 20292058
> .. spacing is lost between words
XMLHttpRequest URL-encodes the text, hence a space becomes either + or %20, if you don't get it on the server, then your server application does a wrong URL-decoding

Author Comment

ID: 20297353
Maybe my issue is on the processing page 'ajax-content.asp'.

To retrieve the variable I use 'Request("inpContent")' which is getting the variable but obviously not decoding it.  Have tried 'Request.QueryString("inpContent")' but this doesn't work.  Having never used 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' befoer how do I decode the URL?
LVL 51

Accepted Solution

ahoffmann earned 500 total points
ID: 20297678
Request.QueryString() reads the query string (GET request, manly)
I don't know anything about ASP, but there should be a Request.Post() or similar function to retrieve the posted values.

You can use a proxy or better a browser plugin like FF's LiveHttpHeader to check what the browser realy sends.

> how do I decode the URL?
convert any string of the form %HH (3 characters, where H is [0-9a-f]) to its corresponding character, %20 is a space, %78 is x ...

Author Comment

ID: 20298369
Thanks for the advice on LiveHttpHeader . Gave me some insite:

Noticed that when using the original code and attaching  â€˜inpContent’ to the URL  the spaces were passed as %20, e.g. ‘Hello%20there’

When using the amended code you suggested the spaces were not changed at all. Even though I have no idea why, the processing page then ignored the spaces.

With that in mind I’ve used REPLACE to change the spaces to ‘%20’ before processing:

var inpContent = inpContent.replace(/ /g, "%20")

Not sure it’s the best way of doing things but seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your patience and guidance.
LVL 51

Expert Comment

ID: 20299617
> .. change the spaces to ‘%20’ before processing:
.. which then sends a space as %2520 (check with LiveHttpHeader)
this identifies that your server side does a URL-decoding and probably removes spaces before you get the data in your script

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article will inform Clients about common and important expectations from the freelancers (Experts) who are looking at your Gig.
A quick Powershell script I wrote to find old program installations and check versions of a specific file across the network.
The viewer will learn how to look for a specific file type in a local or remote server directory using PHP.
In this seventh video of the Xpdf series, we discuss and demonstrate the PDFfonts utility, which lists all the fonts used in a PDF file. It does this via a command line interface, making it suitable for use in programs, scripts, batch files — any pl…

717 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question