Solved

Webauth - No unambiguous match for user

Posted on 2007-11-15
7
1,915 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-18
We are doing a test upgrade of our Domino 6.5.4 server to Domino 7.0.2 FP2 .  Most functions appear to be working fine, however we are running into issues with web user authentication.

I have set WebAuth_Verbose_Trace=1 in notes.ini, and receive the following result:

> 11/15/2007 01:50:18.30 PM [08D4:0014-0C64] WebAuth> LOOKUP in view ($Users) (user='username' org='')
11/15/2007 01:50:18.32 PM [08D4:0014-0C64] WebAuth> No unambiguous match for user='username' org=''
11/15/2007 01:50:18.32 PM [08D4:0014-0C64] WebAuth> User Anonymous found in group Cache!

If I open the $Users view in the address book and do a search for "username" it brings up the correct person document.  These lookups work fine in 6.5.4, and I'm not sure what's changed in 7.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
0
Comment
Question by:Bill_Fleury
  • 4
  • 2
7 Comments
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:ubig
ID: 20292701
Try rebuilding all views. Open any view and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9. If that does not help, run fixup task (load fixup names.nsf) on the server then run compact task (load compact names.nsf).

Hope that helps
0
 
LVL 9

Author Comment

by:Bill_Fleury
ID: 20292771
No go, have already done that and it didn't change anything.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
0
 
LVL 9

Author Comment

by:Bill_Fleury
ID: 20301418
Solved it!!

The problem ended up being two fold:

1) The directory the user resides in was not enabled in Directory Assistance (I left the fact it was in a second directory out of my question due to the fact I had copied my test user into names.nsf).

2) The main cause of the problem must have been related to the full text index.  I deleted the index and re-created, and voila, all users can log in!

So basically, from what I can see, the index must have been messed up when the upgrade to 7.0.2 from 6.5.4 was done.
0
Free learning courses: Active Directory Deep Dive

Get a firm grasp on your IT environment when you learn Active Directory best practices with Veeam! Watch all, or choose any amount, of this three-part webinar series to improve your skills. From the basics to virtualization and backup, we got you covered.

 
LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
qwaletee earned 500 total points
ID: 20301648
AUth does not use the full text index. It was the lack of inclusion in DA that was your problem.  If there was a seocndary problem, ikt was in the ($Users) view index, not FT.
0
 
LVL 9

Author Comment

by:Bill_Fleury
ID: 20301699
I'm fairly new to Domino, so you may very well be correct.  I went into the DB properties and deleted the index from there, then created it from there as well.

I know the DA inclusion was part of the problem, but that doesn't explain why when I copied the person document to the main directory that it still wouldn't authenticate, that's why I think there were two problems.  That, and I had included my second directory in DA before I did the index deletion, and it didn't work until the indexes were re-created.
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:qwaletee
ID: 20314991
The second problem may have been a caching issue. If a user fails authentication due to a missing person doc, it can take a few minutes for Domino to recognize the new credentials. If you try doing something else between the failure (due to caching) and the later success (cache reset), you might think your additional change fixed the problem, when it is just incidental.

Or I could be all wet :)
0
 
LVL 9

Author Comment

by:Bill_Fleury
ID: 20315210
That's a very good point, and was something I was afraid of while testing so I restarted the server between tries.  The cache isn't maintained through a restart by any chance is it?
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

This article provides a case study on how our local youth baseball league deployed a new website, including the platform selection, implementation and benefits to the league.
This article covers general Notes 8.5 troubleshooting information including recreating the Notes\Data folder.
The purpose of this video is to demonstrate how to integrate Mailchimp with WordPress, by placing a Mailchimp signup form on a WordPress Page or Post. This will be demonstrated using a Windows 8 PC. Mailchimp will be used. Log into your Mailchi…
The purpose of this video is to demonstrate how to set up an RSS Feed on a WordPress Website. This will be demonstrated using a Windows 8 PC. Feedburner will be used for this demonstration. Go to your WordPress login page. This will look like the…

730 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question