Setting up Exchange Server 2003, Cisco Pix 501, DNS MX Record
Posted on 2007-11-16
I need your expert advice to make my exchange server work behind a Cisco PIX 501 Firewall.
This is the situation now;
1. Exchange server 2003 installed in Windows Server 2003 SBS
- can send email to yahoo email account and other domain email account.
- but can't received email yet
2. Cisco PIX 501 configured with the following;
- access-list outside-access-in permit tcp any interface outside eq smtp
- access-group outside-in in interface outside
- no fixup protocol smtp 25
- static (inside,outside) tcp interface smtp 192.168.10.1 smtp netmask 255.255.255.255
(note: i got this config from one of the experts in this site)
3. DNS (Dreamhost) configured with the following:
- added custom A Record (smtp.allthebestfinefoods.com)
- added custom MX record (10 smtp.allthebestfinefoods.com)
Note: I set my custom MX record priority level to 10 (this was set to higher priority level so it will not take over the lowest MX record of the DNS provider.
1. I tried using the MX Lookup of MXTOOLBOX.COM to test my smtp.allthebestfinefoods.com then I got this error message:
"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"
2. I tried using the MX Lookup of MXTOOLBOX.COM to test my public IP Address then I got the same error message:
WHAT WRONG OR LACKING WITH MY WORK? EXPERTS PLS HELP ME FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM AND PROVIDE ME WITH HELPFUL ANSWERS.
Thank you very much.