Blackberry Enterprise Server for Exchange configured, but won't communicate over the Web
Posted on 2007-11-17
My boss has recently presented me with a new BlackBerry Curve and told me it needs to be setup to sync email with our Exchange Server. The Blackberry gives license for using the cut-down version of the Enterprise Server (or BES, as I think it is referred?) to setup a push email service that interacts with Exchange.
I've set everything up following RIM's instructions to the dot to try and get this to work. Here's a synopsis of what I've done:
* I created the custom AD user account called 'BESAdmin' to run the services for BlackBerry Enterprise under, and to administer the system. I have followed all their points on what security righs and access rights to give this account with a fine tooth comb.
* I am running the express version of SQL Server 2005, and have created a instance and database on this which BES uses sucessfully
* I have fully installed the BES software, and put in all the correct details and license / activation keys that it asks for. There were no errors at any stage.
* I have successfuly link the BES software to it's own MAPI account for mail sending
* I have opened port 3101 on our firewall, which BlackBerry didn't tell me to do - I however assume some port(s) needed to be open, and lots of people came up as saying this on the web.
I can load up the software manager, and everything shows as connected, and very happy. I have created the one user I'm licensed to have, and linked it to his Exchange email account, with custom policy that simply requires a password. I have started the activation process, using a custom password.
I go to the blackberry, put in the email address and password as requested. I assume it should resolve and look to our server, and thus see our BES server, but it just says it fails.
And this is where I am stumped! I am new to this software, but adept if people can give me any pointers on what might be incorrectly configured, or if I need to open up firewall ports or for all I know activate something with RIM that acts as part of the infrastructure.
I hope someone can help! I need to get this fixed this weekend, so I hope someone can reply quick. Worth 500 points if you can help me bumble my way through this!