I have this scenario in place. At the moment I have single domain called abc.com with two Domain Controller DC01 and DC02 (Windows Server 2003 R2) I have one Exchange Front End Server EXFE01 and one Exchange Back End Server EXBE01. Both Exchange servers are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. There is a requirement for us to provide Exchange Infrastructure on one of our subsidiaries which will be located in the vessel. We will have 256K link from the vessel to the HQ. The problem is the link may likely will be intermittent since it will running on Satellite infrastructure but fortunantely the users understood the situation. They only requires at least they can communicate via email locally (within themself in the vessel). I have these option in my mind:
Option1: Just put another domain controller and exchange back end server on the vessel. All 300 users mailbox will be place there.
Question 1: Can they communicate via email among themself if the link to HQ down?
Question 2: Is there any issues with replication (AD or Exchange)?
Option 2: Create child domain e.g. vessel.abc.com by putting in domain controller for the child domain. How the Exchange configuration will look like?. I am assuming these steps
1. Join the 'new' exchange server to vessel.abc.com domain as member server
2. Install Exchange server. Does the 'new' exchange server will knows the existing Exchange Infrastructure? I beleive the Exchange do not have 'child exchange' type of infrastructure. Correct me if I'm wrong
3. Any issues on global catalog?
* The basic requirements is to have
1. Local communications
2. Global address list in place for vessel and hq users