I've created a new OAB but it's not rebuilding anything from the domain.
I accidentally deleted our companies offline address list, so I researched how to create a new one. I've gone through the steps. Create new, name it, point it to our domain and set as default domain. I've made sure that that it's listed in Exchange Manager>Servers>My Domain>First Storage Group>Public Folder Store>Public Folders (the one I deleted is there as well). There are no items in either the old OAB or the new one. The old OAB shows the original creation date but is actually updated with todays date (even though I've created a completely new offline address list).
When I rebuild the new OAB, I get no errors. On the client end, I'm unable to download the OAB due to error:
Task 'firstname.lastname@example.org' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'
I'm greatly hoping that I can fix this problem soon.