What would cause SMTP outbound traffic and pinging any external web/IP address to fail? (ie. ping www.google.com
= "Ping request could not find host www.google.com
Several gremlins and changes have happened in our system over the last 5 days.
1.We have changed our domain web host. - the mx record has been verified that it is pointed to our external IP address. We are receiving e-mail.
2.Our firewall device has failed, been worked on, and is working properly now. - SPAM Filter is working much better than before all these problems.
3.Over the weekend (while the firewall was down) I explored several areas of the Server - DSN, DHCP, Routing and Remote Access, Services - trying to get us up and running again - to my knowledge I don't remember changing anything significant that would affect the problems we are having - BUT I wouldn't rule it out.
I just don't know where to go with this problem. I've tried numerous things on my own - but I'm just not smart enough for this problem.
ps. what is strange about the whole thing is 1. we can receive e-mail, 2. we can surf the internet through the proxy/firewall and active directory roles are working just fine.