I am trying to put together an action plan for the migration of our current domain controller to a new domain controller [as we are running into space issues].
This is what I have came up [this is my first time].
Goal: To successful migrate the existing domain controller (pkserv1) to another server (dc2)
1) installation of windows 2003, application of all available service packs and windows update on dc2
2) network integration of dc2, including domain membership and IP configuration
3) installation of DNS on dc2 [as a secondary zone].
Some background info: the primary zone for DNS is running from the exchange server and the 2 domain controllers are running secondary zones. We donÃƒÂ¢Ã‚Â€Ã‚Â™t have AD integrated DNS.
Also there are no FSMO roles on pkserv1.
4) confirm DNS is working fine on dc2
Need some help here: what tool should I use?
4) installation of AD (dcpromo) on dc2
5) transfer of the user data from existing server (pkserv1) to dc2
6) transfer of printer settings from pkserv1 to dc2
7) test that users are able to login and access their data on dc2
8) preparation and shutdown of the old server. Remove AD using dcpromo
9) remove the secondary zone DNS from pkserv.
[Need some help here]: what tool should I use?
Is it as simple as right clicking the zone and pressing the delete button?
10) Need to check that pkserv1 is no longer exists as a domain controller.
Tools to use:
Netdiag and Dcdiag, check Active Directory Site and Services, and make sure it does not exist there.
Can someone please help me ÃƒÂ¢Ã‚Â€Ã‚Â“ if I have missed something.
Thanks a bunch!
For more background info please refer to: