bit version of operating system and hardware in linux box and it significance
Posted on 2007-11-27
dear experts ,
1) I need your assistance to find , is the my OS with 32 bit/ 64 bit. ? I applied below list of commands to retrieve my information. It makes to suspect that it as 32 bit version. Before confirm I need some confirmation from some experts .
-sh-3.00# uname -r
-sh-3.00# uname -a
Linux us-bcm 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELlargesmp #1 SMP Tue Sep 25 02:25:48 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
-sh-3.00# cat /etc/*elease*
cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
-sh-3.00# uname -m
2) As other way round when I check bit version by
- cd to /bin directory
- applied commad as below
The output showing clearly that it is 64-bit . I would like to know which is the correct way to find the bit version of the OS. Is this OR above
3) how to find bit level information for the hardware of the machine .
4) what kind of bit combination are possible at the Hardware and OS.
Means to say 32/64 bit H/W ÃƒÂ¢Ã‚Â€Ã‚Â“with- 32/64 bit OS
5) what is significance being 64 bit of HW and OS over being 32 bit of HW and OS
thanks all in advance ..