Offline address book not updating on Outlook 2003 or 2007 client in Cache Mode from 2007 Server

Posted on 2007-11-29
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
We just upgraded our Exchange 2003 Server to Exchange 2007. When new users are added to the Exchange environment, they show-up in the client address book if they are in online mode but, not if they are in cached mode. We have tried to download the address book, set a registry key to control how the offline address book is updated to no avail. The only thing that seems to update the cached address book is if you delete the *.oab files from the client's computer and restart Outlook.
Question by:Gubster
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 104

Expert Comment

ID: 20374444
Have you completed the migration from Exchange 2003 to 2007, or is the 2003 server still alive? Have you changed which server generates the OAB?


Author Comment

ID: 20374487
This was actually a cross-org migration. The 2003 Server is in a completely different Exchange organization. The OAB is generated by the 2007 Server. If the client is in online mode, the address book is correct.

Expert Comment

ID: 20374649
Had the same problem, the offilne address book not getting updated straight away.  Found out that it only updated once day on Exchange 2003.  When the client checked up next day it was fine, had all the updates.

Do check out this!
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Author Comment

ID: 20374697
We are manually updating the address book in the client using "Send and Recieve" + "Download Address Book". This should update from the GAL at any time.
LVL 104

Expert Comment

ID: 20374956
You need to understand that there are two processes going on here.

The OAB needs to be generated by the server. That happens once a day by default.
Then the client needs to download the OAB.

You can change the schedule for the OAB generation, but what you cannot control is the download of the OAB by the client, other than doing it manually.

What will not happen is a user is created and then you run the OAB download on the client and expect to see the new user. Unless the OAB generation has run on the server you will not.

Which distribution method are you using for OAB?


Author Comment

ID: 20375005
We have actually found the solution to this. The SMTP addresses on the resources were incorrect. We were able to find this by increasing the logging level on the Exchange server.

Accepted Solution

Computer101 earned 0 total points
ID: 21146766
PAQed with points refunded (500)

EE Admin

Expert Comment

ID: 23270781
How do I change my "SMTP addresses on the resources"

Featured Post

Online Training Solution

Drastically shorten your training time with WalkMe's advanced online training solution that Guides your trainees to action. Forget about retraining and skyrocket knowledge retention rates.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

You need to know the location of the Office templates folder, so that when you create new templates, they are saved to that location, and thus are available for selection when creating new documents.  The steps to find the Templates folder path are …
This article describes how to import Lotus Notes Contacts into Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007 etc. with a few manual steps. You can easily export and migrate Lotus Notes contacts into Microsoft Outlook without having to use any third party tools.
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to:…
Suggested Courses

627 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question