Solved

Teradata truncating character fields when updated from Access

Posted on 2007-11-29
5
971 Views
Last Modified: 2009-07-29
I'm trying to run a simple append query in Microsoft Access.  The query selects 3 character fields in a local table and appends them to a linked table (via ODBC) on a Teradata server - no where clause, conditionals, or data transformation.  The structure of the fields in the linked table is equivalent to that of the local table, as far as I can tell.  Local table has text fields of length 11, 15, and 15 characters; Teradata table has corresponding Varchar fields of length 11, 15, and 15.

The query completes successfully... but the resulting data in the Teradata table is truncated to half of the character length of the field. For example, a text value 'Enterprise' in the first field in the local table is stored in the Teradata table as 'Enter'.   This is consistent for all the character fields.  I tried an integer field as a test; this appears to append successfully without any truncation.

Is there some encoding issue I need to be aware of when moving data between MS-Access and Teradata?
0
Comment
Question by:Mckenzma
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 75
ID: 20375277
Possibly this:

See this link:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html

mx
0
 
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 500 total points
ID: 20375290
Make sure your TeraData engine is storing as Unicode ...
0
 

Author Comment

by:Mckenzma
ID: 20375376
How can I tell if the TeraData engine is storing as Unicode?
0
 
LVL 84
ID: 20375642
I have no idea; I'd assume there is some sort of management interface for the TeraData db (something like Enterprise Manager for SQL Server) where you could determine how the db is storing data.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Mckenzma
ID: 20376078
I found something that worked.  In the ODBC Data Source Administrator, I changed the session character set for the Teradata db from ASCII to UTF8.   The full character values are now stored in the Teradata db when I run the query.

Strangely, this change has destroyed my ability to browse linked Teradata tables from Access.  Every field displays "#Deleted".  Not of immediate importance to me... but curious.

I'll award the points.  Thanks for the idea.
0

Featured Post

Instantly Create Instructional Tutorials

Contextual Guidance at the moment of need helps your employees adopt to new software or processes instantly. Boost knowledge retention and employee engagement step-by-step with one easy solution.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Access Need to add combo box to sub form 10 51
Best way to get data into a database 12 55
Tabbed form question 5 18
Outlook mail to Access 8 23
In earlier versions of Windows (XP and before), you could drag a database to the taskbar, where it would appear as a taskbar icon to open that database.  This article shows how to recreate this functionality in Windows 7 through 10.
AutoNumbers should increment automatically, without duplicates.  But sometimes something goes wrong, and the next AutoNumber value is a duplicate.  This article shows how to recover from this problem.
Basics of query design. Shows you how to construct a simple query by adding tables, perform joins, defining output columns, perform sorting, and apply criteria.
What’s inside an Access Desktop Database. Will look at the basic interface, Navigation Pane (Database Container), Tables, Queries, Forms, Report, Macro’s, and VBA code.

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question