Can someone explain to me how the DNS, Name servers, and MX records work with a Domain Registrar? I have registered with Network Solutions a domain name and I have a couple of questions
1) If I decide to host the website on my own equipment, do I have to use my ISP's name servers or can I go into Network Solutions and use their name servers pointing the website to my static IP address?
2) I have looked at 3rd party hosting companies and they all want me to go into Network Solutions and point my Nameservers to them. Why is that? Why can't I just go into Network Solutions and point the ipaddress to my 3rd party hosting company?
3) Are nameservers and DNS essentially the same thing?
4) Is it standard protocol that whoever host my website needs to host the DNS as well?
5) I am hosting my own exchange box. So if I understand it correctly, just because a 3rd party company may be hosting my website and nameservers, I can tell them to change the MX records to point to my static ip for the Exchange server. Is this correct?
Thanks for the help in educating me...