I've been having problem with my remote users (including myself) not able to connect Outlook (2003 & 2007) over the RRAS VPN at the office. We have windows server 2003 (std & ent) and MS Exchange 2003 (ent). On one of the servers, we have configured RRAS. For a while, users were able to synchronize Outlook and access their data without any problem. Just a week ago, their Outlook wouldn't open and they received a message "Microsoft Exchange is unavailable" even though they connected to VPN successfully and were able to access data on the file server.
I have a thought of what is going on but I thought I seek expertise opinions from the community. After I connected via VPN, I tried to do nslookup from home (of course it's not going to show that my dc is the default server to resolve address) and entered in the exchange server name. It resolved into a different IP address (not my private internal number). Additionally, when I tried to nslookup my remaining servers' hostname, it resolved to the same one that I did for the exchange's hostname. The last thing I tried was to ping all the servers' ip address, and I got replies. However, when I did a ping to all the servers' hostname, I got a reply from the strange IP address that was resolved when I nslookup using the hostnames.
So at this point, I'm sure it has to do with DNS, but I'm not sure where to look.
Thank you in advance for your expertise opinions and insights.