Solved

How do I prevent from having to sign on to the server every day

Posted on 2007-12-05
12
152 Views
Last Modified: 2010-03-18
We have 10 computers on one network. Everyone has to sign on to the server every morning. Is there a way to have the computers always on the network?
0
Comment
Question by:manninggroup
  • 3
  • 3
  • 2
  • +3
12 Comments
 
LVL 20

Expert Comment

by:Lazarus
ID: 20412630
The question is pretty vague. Can you explain a few things? How is your Network setup? Is it a Workgroup or set up on an Active Directory? Also are you using login scripts at all? Also, what versions of OS's are involved?
0
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:simsjrg
ID: 20412639
Can you explain this in a little more detail?
What are they trying to do?
Is this a Domain or Workgroup environment?
Are the machines running XP Pro or Home?
0
 
LVL 55

Expert Comment

by:andyalder
ID: 20412650
0
PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.

 
LVL 55

Expert Comment

by:andyalder
ID: 20412661
Sorry chaps, didn't see your previous posts. I agree, need to know how it is set up.
0
 

Author Comment

by:manninggroup
ID: 20412766
We have a server. The software is MS Server 2003. All of the computers share the files on the server. We also all share a printer. When I come in in the morning, sometimes I can access files on the server, sometimes it asks for a password. Sometimes all of the computers have to do this, sometimes not. Sometimes 75% of the computers are on the network working fie, and the other 25% cant access the network.
0
 
LVL 20

Expert Comment

by:Lazarus
ID: 20416318
Are you utilizing Active Directory on your Server for network logins or are your client computers working as a Workgroup?  If you have Server 2003 you should really look at using Active Directory. then you can utilize using Login scripts that will map a drive when you login the network.  
We really need a bit more detail to help you out though. If your working in a WorkGroup, it's a little more complex, but still doable.
0
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:HOPE-IT
ID: 20416806
Windows 2003.  Install active directory by running "dcpromo" in the run menu.
Join all the computers to the domain.
Edit the default GPO to disable screen savers.

In workgroup setup.
Enable guess account.
0
 

Author Comment

by:manninggroup
ID: 20420285
When I log directly on the server, under the server menu folder, all of the computers are listed as "users". I am afraid to run "dcpromo" under the cmd, when I tried, alot of warnings poped up. Can this mess up everything?
0
 

Author Comment

by:manninggroup
ID: 20420293
I am pretty sure we are not on active directory.
0
 
LVL 20

Accepted Solution

by:
Lazarus earned 125 total points
ID: 20424400
Yes, DCPROMO can do a lot to change things. Eventually you should move to that as your wasting half the benefits of your Server.

But until then you could do this:

You can setup the shares, then on the clients you can "Map" the drives.  Make the Share permission set to Everyone Full as well as the Folder Security to Everyone Full. But this is not a good practice, as it's wide open to anyone.

0
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:Computer101
ID: 20962173
Forced accept.

Computer101
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Connect further...control easier

With the ATEN CE624, you can now enjoy a high-quality visual experience powered by HDBaseT technology and the convenience of a single Cat6 cable to transmit uncompressed video with zero latency and multi-streaming for dual-view applications where remote access is required.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Moving your enterprise fax infrastructure from in-house fax machines and servers to the cloud makes sense — from both an efficiency and productivity standpoint. But does migrating to a cloud fax solution mean you will no longer be able to send or re…
Data center, now-a-days, is referred as the home of all the advanced technologies. In-fact, most of the businesses are now establishing their entire organizational structure around the IT capabilities.
Microsoft Active Directory, the widely used IT infrastructure, is known for its high risk of credential theft. The best way to test your Active Directory’s vulnerabilities to pass-the-ticket, pass-the-hash, privilege escalation, and malware attacks …
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to bulk import 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

821 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question