Upgrade Windows Active Directory server
Posted on 2007-12-06
I am replacing our Active Directory/Global Catalog/File & Print server at one of our satellite offices with a brand new server with warranty.
My current plan is to accomplish this using the following methodology:
- Install Windows 2003 on new server and give exactly the same name and static ip address.
- Take backup of current server (Windows 2003) and uninstall AD using dcpromo.
- Run dcpromo on the new server at add it to the domain. Wait for replication to complete.
- Restore files to new server.
- Have clients log in normally?
What I would like to know:
For those experts who are experienced with this can you please provide any details I might want to look out for (possible issues/problems) using the methodology above or suggest a better methodology (possibly less risk) with reasons why?
Thanks in advance.
Please only respond if you have experience doing this in a large environment with multiple GC and AD controllers.