I have had ongoing issues with our back-up and here is my latest observation:
1) The 'Volume Shadow Copy' is set to automatic.
2) At every back-up failure the 'Volume Shadow Copy' service is 'Stopped'.
3) I restart the service and can then complete a successful back-up.
4) The next time the scheduled back-up occurs, it fails and I find that the 'Volume Shadow Copy' is 'Stopped'.
5) I have set the recovery in the event of failue but that has not helped.
My question is - Why does the 'Volume Shadow Copy' service Stop and what should I do to prevent this from happening?