I need guidance and some step by step instructions on how to best set up my Network environment for running a small side business from home given the following scenario. (please keep in mind that I am new to working with servers and setting up home network) So my apologies in advance for many stupid questions to follow.
Final Goal: To be able to use our home computer to work with Graphic Design files, save them to external hard drive connected to file server. Also have a couple of employees be able to access the file server from there home and be able to work with the files save changes, and even copy the files back and forth from their home computer to the file server. One external hard drive will always be hooked to the server and I will then periodically hook up another portable USB hard drive to back up all the data.
Current Setup and hardware:
1. Home computer running Windows XP pro, and the two employees who will connect to server run the same.
2. Gateway PIV 1.6 GHz cpu with 1GB Ram, two NICs, and Windows Server 2000 installed.
3. One My Book western digital 500GB external USB HD, and one more portable USB HD to synchronize and back up the data to.
4. Cable comes into ISP cable modem and I have cat5 running from that to Linksys 5 port wireless router, and another cat5 going to home computer, and another to Server. Wireless is set up with WEP so we can use laptops as well just for personal use.
5. Home computer and server are both just currently on workgroup.
Given this information can anyone start pointing me in the right direction, and maybe be able to give step by steps on some of the procedures when it comes to configuring my server to allow for this.