Windows 2000 server licensing help

I have a windows 2000 server on a small network of 10 workstations and 4 printers.  Right now, the licensing is per server.  This is the only server and will probably always be the only server.  Should I purchase CAL's and change to per seat?  Also, I am having trouble finding a decent place to buy 2000 Server CAL's.  Anybody have any suggestions?  The OS only has the 5 licenses that came with it.  
Sean RhudyPresidentAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process AdvisorCommented:
2000 is not sold anymore... I'm not sure where - if anywhere - you'll be able to get CALs.  However, you may be able to get open license CALs which have downgrade rights... but I've never done that and seem to recall questions about how they would actually get installed on the server.  

I would really suggest, given the size you your company that you would be better off replacing the old unsupported server with a new Small Business Server 2003 server (the SBS license when purchased as OEM software can be as little as $350, plus 5 extra CALs and then you'd have 2003 server with Volume Shadow copy (I love this feature - it's a scheduled periodic backup - I usually run 4 per business day) and it comes with Microsoft Exchange server (though you pretty much HAVE to use Exchange server... not using SBS the way it was intended is generally a recipe for problems... but if you set it up correctly, it's rock solid and a great, easily managed system with many enhancements over 2000.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
I agree with Leew about upgrading 100%!!!

However, if you want more info on downgrade rights, look through this FAQ section for more information...

"Q. Can I downgrade a Windows CAL for use on a Windows 2000 server?
  A. Yes. Both Windows Server 2003 User and Device CALs can be downgraded to access a Windows 2000 server."
Sean RhudyPresidentAuthor Commented:
Yes, it says you can downgrade, but I can't find a site that says how.  Also, I don't need licenses for the network printers?
Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process AdvisorCommented:
No, you only need licenses for users OR for the devices that the users use to access the system.  Printers are used by users through the system.
You could buy the 2003 CALS from a reseller or through MS ...

To downgrade, a key should be provided with a media kit (make it very clear with the seller that you expect this).  It would be a good idea to also contact the MS clearinghouse to make sure all your ducks are in a row prior to spending any $$ IMO.   During install, you would then have the option to downgrade.

Here are your Downgrade rights...
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Server OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.