[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
?
Solved

DHCP Best practices including 80/20 rule

Posted on 2008-01-25
5
Medium Priority
?
2,236 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-21
Our current DHCP environment is in need of overhaul. We have 60 scopes currently, running on one clustered server. This has been in place for several years, and is also a file server.

We intend to relocate this onto dedicated redundant servers. I've been reading several MS documents where they recommend setting up 2 servers with the same scope, set up with one server to issue 80% of the addresses and the other to issue 20%. Doesn't the 20% just run out and stop giving out addresses?

What do others here do? We have approximately 350 servers and 3000 desktops, along with several hundred other IP devices.

We will also be overhauling DNS and WINS, so if that matters I'd love to hear the suggestions. We use Active Directory integrated DNS with a single forest/domain.

Dan
0
Comment
Question by:drothbart
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:maxis2cute
ID: 20746176
you should have all scopes on both servers.  Then active 40% on one and 60% on teh other.  This was the will not cross scopes and if one dies, you just activate the other scopes.
0
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:brent_caskey
ID: 20746183
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/75cd0e1f-f464-40ea-ac88-2060e6769f331033.mspx?mfr=true

You allocate 80% of the addresses to be given out to one server. The 20% needs to be given out by the other. The DHCP server setup will not be identical.

so, in C class a subnet DHCP server 1 would give out IPs 192.168.100.100 - 192.168.100.180 and DHCP2 would give out 192.168.100.181 - 192.168.100.200

Per http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/b9b1845d-19f2-4f13-8a7b-95ca35b021981033.mspx?mfr=true

You set them with the same scopes and different exclusion ranges.
0
 
LVL 5

Author Comment

by:drothbart
ID: 20746432
I understand, Brent, but how does that help since it seems to me that the one issuing 20% will give all it's addresses out before the one with 80%.

For example: A scope has 200 addresses. Server A gives out 1-160, server B gives out 161-200. If there are 150 clients, wouldn't server B be almost out of leases all the time? Is that what you see in reality?
0
 
LVL 13

Accepted Solution

by:
brent_caskey earned 2000 total points
ID: 20746560
It is possible that it will. The 80/20 is just something to go off of though, you can run a 60/40  or 50/50 setup or something else if this is a concern.

If the 20% runs out, the clients will just hit the other server. If the 80% server gets shut down for some reason, you just pull the exception list on the 20% server. If you pull the exception list, I would set the conflict detection to 1 though so that you dont get multiple IPs on the subnet at the time of failure.

Here are some other thoughts on this subject (although I dont like the third option - have both with same scope just doesnt look good to me).
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/13/DHCP_Server.html?page=last&x-showcontent=text
0
 
LVL 5

Author Closing Comment

by:drothbart
ID: 31425113
Thanks, Brent. Good link that was new to me as well. Good food for thought.
0

Featured Post

The 14th Annual Expert Award Winners

The results are in! Meet the top members of our 2017 Expert Awards. Congratulations to all who qualified!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

by Batuhan Cetin Within the dynamic life of an IT administrator, we hold many information in our minds like user names, passwords, IDs, phone numbers, incomes, service tags, bills and the order from our wives to buy milk when coming back to home.…
ADCs have gained traction within the last decade, largely due to increased demand for legacy load balancing appliances to handle more advanced application delivery requirements and improve application performance.
Kernel Data Recovery is a renowned Data Recovery solution provider which offers wide range of softwares for both enterprise and home users with its cost-effective solutions. Let's have a quick overview of the journey and data recovery tools range he…
How to fix display issue, screen flickering issue when I plug in power cord to the machine. Before I start explaining the solution lets check out once the issue how it looks like after I connect the power cord. most of you also have faced this…

640 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question