The error shown below occurs when I open an email in Outlook Express 6 on my Windows XP SP2 system, Right-Click on an image in it, and choose the "Save Picture As" option.
See attached JPG screenshots and text file with descriptions of each.
The error pops up when I browse to my Primary Slave internal IDE 160GB hard drive and begin to browse the folders on the 122GB FAT32 partition created on it for document and image storage.
That partition is only half full and, although it does have a large number of folders containing a mixed range of file sizes, the folder depth is not unusual or excessive.
The error occurs whether or not I am viewing files and folders in Thumbnail or Details view, and is not related to navigating too fast, because it happens when I try the same operation at a snail's pace.
Although not completely immune from this error, other hard drive partitions on an 80GB external USB hard drive formatted as FAT32, and with less content than the internal one, do not generate this error when browsed to for the same purpose.
The error is consistent whether or not I try to rename the image to be saved in the file name field of the Save dialog. It also shows the same error regardless of whether the image is a jpg, gif, or bmp file.
The error reporting debug process during the error generated the file "fed7_appcompat.txt" in my TEMP folder while attempting to save a JPG image from within an email that defaulted to the file name:
The "fed_appcompat.txt" is XML-based, and I have ONLY shown an edited extract of what seem to me to be the most relevant lines in the "Code Snippet" box. I can supply the complete error file if needed.
Here are the file properties of the file "dxmasf.dll" installed on my system:
CompanyName = Microsoft Corporation
FileDescription = Windows Media Source Filter
FileVersion = 6.4.09.1125
InternalName = dxmasf.dll
LegalCopyright = Copyright (C) 1992-1999 Microsoft Corp.
OriginalFilename = dxmasf.dll
ProductName = DirectShow
ProductVersion = 6.4.09.1125
DirectShow = Core
OLESelfRegister = DXM20
That being a DirectX (or more correctly DirectShow) file, I am puzzled why this file should be conflicting with Outlook Express.
I am getting the same error when I try to save an image from a web page in Internet Explorer (IExplore.exe and dxmasf.dll). Because the error messages and events are practically the same, I am not documenting it or supplying screenshots.
What I have done to try and resolve this:
1. Ran regsvr32 dxmasf.dll and although it reported successful re-registering, the error persisted after a reboot.
2. Ran sfc /scannow - no files restored and error not resolved.
3. Reinstall XPSP2 and reinstall Windows Updates. IE and OE were unmodified versions of those installed by SP2, so this will have put them back to what they were before this error situation.
4. Reinstalled the default XP SP2 version of DirectX 9c that was on it before, and did so by running the redistributable package.
5. Checked all drives for errors - error still there.
6. Defragged all drives - error still there.
Can anyone explain why a DirectShow DLL should be generating an Outlook Express and Internet Explorer error, and why this should only be happening (99% of the time) on one particular drive that has more folders than the others?
Can anyone suggest a fix, or links to a page that contains a tried and tested fix for this problem. I have googled it, but I don't see any apparently reliable "solutions" for this.
Please have a look at the screenshot images attached and they will show what I have tried to describe.
** Ver1 ** = 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
** Ver2 ** = 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<EXE NAME="msimn.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="msimn.exe" VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="msoe.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="msoeres.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="oeimport.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="oemig50.exe" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="oemiglib.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="setup50.exe" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wab.exe" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wabfind.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wabimp.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wabmig.exe" FILE_VERSION="** Ver1 **"/>
<EXE NAME="dxmasf.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="dxmasf.dll" FILE_VERSION="6.4.09.1125" />
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILE_VERSION="** Ver2 **"/>