Any help will be much appreciated, this ones driving me nuts!!
Where to begin, the machine belongs to a friend who just dropped it off with the mains adapter and NO discs(I think they are available but he will have to post them to me) and said he was having problems, the machine is a:
Toshiba Equium M series laptop, running xp home with sp2.
1. Taskbar missing, I've tried all the normal fixes, no luck, I can get it back only if I have the address bar active, however programs will not minimise to it.
2. The machine has been to various undesirable websites and so is full of spyware, adware, malware, viruses etc. It presently has Norton AV pre-installed that is corrupted. I have tried installing AVG but untill I remove Norton no go.
3. I have managed to install some anti-spyware programs with some success, AVG anti spy, spybot, cc cleaner that's about it.
4. I have no click and drag facility, I can copy but not paste anything.
5. If I try to install/uninstall certain programs I get an error message saying that the windows installer is running in safe mode(Not) or is corrupted.(Problem for point 2 above)
6. I don't have access to user accounts (3 buttons Back, forward and home) the rest is blanked out, the same in safe mode.
I don't have any network connections nor can I create one.
If I access services through computer management I have nothing in the extended tab, I appear to have them all in standard tab but cannot access the properties of any of them either by double clicking or right clicking.
I don't have system restore capability.
7. I keep getting error messages mainly:
1053 The service did not respond to the the start or control request in a timely fashion.
1068 The dependancy service or group failed to start.
Sorry there is no order to any of this, and I've probably missed some points out, I'm at wits end, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my only course of action is a complete re-install which I'm trying to avoid if possible.
Again any help much appreciated, any questions please ask..