I am debating migrating an SBS 2003 server to new hardware vs. creating a new AD domain and simply migrating the Exchange data. I'd like some input on pros/cons. Here are my thoughts:
- I was planning on the "in-place upgrade" method of reinstalling Windows on
top of the existing install, and changing hardware at the first reboot (does this work with SBS?)
- Folders and user permissions are already set
- don't need to recreate users
- apps installed on server don't need to be reinstalled
- workstations don't need to be rejoined to the new domain
New AD domain:
- after 4 years and 2 previous hardware migrations, a clean install will clean things up
- I'd like to separate my internal DNS name from the external Internet domain
to clean up my DNS zones and make things a bit easier to manage vis a vis DNS.
Is there a procedure to give me the best of both worlds? Can I bring a server online as a DC to replicate AD and then migrate SBS?