Recover corrupted Calendar items from Backup Exec backup

I have a user that just discovered that he was missing past Outlook calendar items.  I went to the backup and the items are listed but they say that they are corrupted.  I ran the restore on them anyway and nothing came  through. Is there any way to get back those items from the backup.  I have Backup Exec 11d, Exchange Server 2003 sp2 and the user is using Outlook 2007.  I tried to open the backup files with the Windows backup utility, but the media is password protected.
adrienne73Asked:
Who is Participating?
 
Matthew MillersConnect With a Mentor Commented:
You may want to try and restore the whole DB into a recovery storage group and thenuse exmerge to export the users whole mailbox.

I assume you are trying to recover from a brick/mailbox level backup? if this is the case, chances are the corrupt items were not backed up.

You are doing a IS level backup right?
0
 
Matthew MillersCommented:
How did you go?
0
 
adrienne73Author Commented:
I am trying to use exmerge right now, but am working it out on licensing issues with Ontrack.  Will keep you posted.
0
Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

 
adrienne73Author Commented:
I guess I am not in my right mind right now, I was thinking that exmerge was the Ontrack utility, but it's not.  I have never used a recovery storage group before.  I set up the group and now I am trying to figure out how to restore to it from Backup Exec.  Makes me a little nervous to be writing to my production server.  Any pointers?
0
 
Matthew MillersCommented:
Just make sure that none of your other DBs have the "can be overwritten by restore", this will ensure that you live DBs are not overwritten.

The RSG is a bit funny, when you do the restore, it actually appears to be restoring to the live DB (at least in the BE console). You can check the size increase in the RSG DB to ensure it is going to the right place.

Do a search on the symantec site for usign 11d/ex2k3 restore to RSG.
0
 
adrienne73Author Commented:
Thanks, it all worked.  I am including a link that has instructions on how to recover to the recovery storage group from Backup Exec for anybody that has to go through this.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.