I want to design an ASP.NET application with 3 forms. Each of the forms is related to each other as follows,
1. Search Criteria Form - user fill out fields to restrict a database query eg. date range, transaction # etc.
2. History Form - displays records in a grid view that match criteria from Search Criteria Form
3. Transaction Details Form - shows individual transaction selected from the history forms GridView
The behaviour between these related forms should be
1. Initial Form is Search Criteria Form - user fills out fields - creates sql query
2. Submit event from Search Criteria Form brings up History Form with records matching sql query
2a. Cancel Button - returns to Initial Form with user filled out fields retained from original submission
2b. Transaction Details Form loaded by selecting a row in the GridView
3. Cancel Button on Transaction Details Form returns to Search Criteria Form while retaining the already set sql query
My question is how to make the form display and data persist as the user navigates between the forms as described above. My thinking so far is that I could use either hidden fields or session variables. I am new to ASP so there may be even better options.
Any and all advies would be appreciated.