Access 97 ODBC SQLConfig Driver failed

We have a few databases that only work in Access 97. We currently have Access 2003 and/or 2007 installed on XP Pro machines. When I try to install Access 97 from an Office 97  cd it runs through the entire installation then fails with the following error:

ODBC's SQLConfigDriver failed for Microsoft Access driver (*.mdb)

I tried uninstalling office 2003 and office 2007 but get the same error.

Please help!
sfghadminAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

tonydemarcoCommented:
Try installing office 97 service pack 1 & 2 before anything else.
These should be obtainable from Microsoft web site.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
souseranCommented:
1. Were you logged in as an administrator on the unit when you installed '97?

2. Windows can be picky about the order in which things are installed. Can you do a system restore to a time when Access wasn't on the PC, then log on as an administrator, and install '97 (including updates and service packs), then 2003 (including updates and service packs), then 2007 (including updates and service packs) in that order?
0
sfghadminAuthor Commented:
Thank you. It also required the renaming of the hatten.ttf font as it started saying that there was no license installed.
0
sfghadminAuthor Commented:
I was finally able to get the install completed by following the following steps.  I installed Access 97 and when I tried to open it got the error that there was no license for the product on this machine. This is a long-standing registration problem for which the fix is to rename the hatten.ttf font to hatten.xxx, then run a reinstall from the office 97 CD. The install completes correctly. Change the font name back, ran SP 1 and SP2. And now everything works.
I was able to do this while Office 2003 was already installed on my computer.  Thanks everyone!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
System Utilities

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.