[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 222
  • Last Modified:

Recovering Public Folder Journals correctly

Hi,
One of out clients uses Journals in public folders to record customer activity - these where then linked to contacts in the public folder.
When you look(ed) at a contact's activity tab, all the journal entries where listed there.
These journals got deleted, because they were thought to be unused.
Two of the journals i restored from a backup (Veritas Backup Exec), the other 1, including the linked contacts folder, was retored using outlook web access.
All of the journal entries seem to be back with all the attached docs and things, however these journal entries are no longer linked to the customer contacts.
When you look at the contact's activity tab the journal name is wrong (they were renamed at some point, and it is now showing the previous name and no journal entries)

Is there any way of restoring the links, without restoring the entire public store (not enough space, the store is over 12GB).

Thanks in advance

Chris
0
timaddamz
Asked:
timaddamz
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
cedarghostCommented:
I had this same problem and I used a piece of software called Repair Tool for Outlook Express. That was the only way I found to restore the links.
0
 
timaddamzAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the suggestion dude. The folders in question are stored in the public folder store on an Exchange 2003 server. the company currently uses Outlook 2003 client.
If i'm looking at the right website, It appears that this tool only works with Outlook Express DBX files
http://www.nsware.com/Repair-Tool-for-Outlook-Express.htm
0
 
cedarghostCommented:
try OLfix. It should work for all versions of Outlook through 2007.
http://pst-repair-utility.qarchive.org/
0
 
timaddamzAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your help dude, but both of those tools are way off the mark.
the journals are in the PUBLIC STORE of an EXCHANGE 2003 SERVER.
Not PST's, certainly not DBX's, but an un-cached exchange mailbox.

I've sorted this myself by looking around the options of the public folder.
in the properties of the contacts folder there is an "Activities" tab, in here you can select which journal to link to the folder.
When the journals where deleted these settings reverted back to the old ones (which don't exist anymore). Adding the required journals into the list solves the problem.
0
 
Computer101Commented:
Tagged for future cleanup

Computer101
EE Admin
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now