Outlook "Name could not be resolved. Action could not be completed"

Our Exchange server recently died. I removed it's traces from AD and built a new server (with a different hostname) and installed Exchange. I then removed Exchange attributes from the accounts in AD, created new mailboxes for the users, and most people can now open Outlook and send/receive emails. Of course their inboxes are gone, but that's another job to restore the data.

The problem is that some users can't open Outlook. I deleted their Outlook profile, created a new one, entered the new server name and their user name, and it says:

"The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed."

To me, this either sounds like DNS resolution, but I can ping the Exchange server, or a Global Catalog problem resolving the mailbox name. If I click OK to this error message, I'm presented with a screen where I can choose the server name and the mailbox. If I type part of his first name, eg. his name is Daniel and I type Da, then press "Check Name", it comes up with all of the names starting with "Da", eg. Daniel, David, etc. including the name of these people who are having the problems. So I don't think it's a name resolution problem, but I could be wrong.

I've tried this from other PCs which are working for other users so it's not a PC issue.

I've also tried creating a new test user account in the same OU as these people who are having the problems, and that account works fine. I don't want to have to re-create the users in AD as there as many, and I'd have to re-do group memberships, permissions, etc.

I'm stuck, if anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.

Many thanks,
Daniel

BTW the article I followed when removing Exchange from AD is here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html
LVL 7
djMundyAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

ChiefoftheChissCommented:
oh god... i had this problem before it was in a registry key I was up for hours, I'll start looking for that thing again, hopefully we can save you the pain.
0
ChiefoftheChissCommented:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831609

ah-ha try this!

one more coming up in a moment
0
ChiefoftheChissCommented:
This is what worked for me when I had the problem so please skip to this step first -
copy the contents of this key from a working system with the same OS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols
and import it into the bad computer
should fix it like a champ!
0
The Ultimate Tool Kit for Technolgy Solution Provi

Broken down into practical pointers and step-by-step instructions, the IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy for valuable how-to assets including sample agreements, checklists, flowcharts, and more!

djMundyAuthor Commented:
Hi ChiefoftheChiss,

These are good suggestions, if there were certain PCs which don't work for anyone. The problem was that some users were working, while other users were not, on the same PC.

I figured it out myself though - turned out to be a problem with Active Directory replication. I opened up several copies of the Active Directory Users and Computers tool, each connecting to a different domain controller in my site. I noticed that the email address field wasn't being populated on all DCs.

I removed Exchange attributes from the problem accounts, updated recipient policies, forced AD replication.

Then I created a mailbox for the accounts, updated recipient policies again, and forced AD replication. I kept forcing replication until each DC shows the Exchange attributes (email address) in ADUC.

Now when I try to create the profile in Outlook, it works!

Thanks again for your time,
Daniel
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
ChiefoftheChissCommented:
Hey I'm just glad that it worked for you - and that my comments are in this article hopefully will help future admins with similar problems.

to whom it may concern i have no prob with points going back to asker.

0
djMundyAuthor Commented:
Still learning how EE works, I think your comments should deserve some points, although my last post should be the "accepted answer" as it resolved my problem.
0
Vee_ModCommented:
Closed, 500 points refunded.
Vee_Mod
Community Support Moderator
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.