Dear Madame, Dear Sir,
Recently, we have remarked an unknown file/icon appeared at
top of Control Panel exploring window (when set on Classic view).
This entry/icon, when clicking on it, doses nothing.
When we create a shortcut of it, to find out some more info about, under Properties there is no indication and no target.
When we switch back the Control Panel window to Category view, we can no more
find this items (under none of categories). Back to Classic view, it is still there.
I had a look also at C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory to check *.cpl files. Nothing relevant! I count 30 *.cpl files. Under Control Panel window, we count 45 entries/icons, plus the unknown one (in classic view). But I suppose, there is also other type of Control Panel items than *.cpl files, located in other part of system. So, I can not detect if is there an abnormal number of Control Panel files:
01. Generally speaking, how to add to or remove, manually, items form Control Panel?
02. Is there any utility to Scan Integrity of my Control Panel module?
03. How to remove the unknown icon
04. How to trace back to find out which software has "installed" this entry?
(should we then uninstall that faulty software)
05. Is there any Repair Option using Windows XP Installation CD?
If yes and I use it, would we risk to loose all progressive updates of Windows XP.
06. What are other files extension than *.cpl appearing under Control Panel window?
Attached, I send a PDF file including:
- screenshot of Control Panel window (in Classic view).
- screenshots of C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory content
In advance, we deeply appreciate your help and expertise.
Lausanne - Switzerland