I have just built an image for some new machines that I plan on rolling out to my users. After I rolled out my first one, I ran into a problem. A user tried to connect to this desktop using remote desktop and couldn't. There are no errors displayed on the screen, it just does nothing. I click connect, put in my credentials and click connect. After a few seconds of the buttons being greyed out, the buttons just come back and nothing happens.
I have been looking around for a while and found some people with similiar problems, but their fixes did not help. Here's a list of what I have tried:
1) Reboot - didn't help
2) SFC /scannow - didn't help
3) Install the remote desktop version 6 download from MS (KB925876). didn't help
4) Uninstalled this patch, then reinstalled again - didn't help
5) Uninstalled anti-virus software - didn't help
6) Uninstalled windows defender - didn't help
7) made sure the windows firewall was turned off - didn't help
Here's some more info:
1) I can telnet to that machine on port 3389 (I found someone who said this is the port that RDP listens on)
2) I did a netstat -a and port 3389 shows LISTENING
3) I can rdp out to other machines
4) This is a brand new build with all MS patches applied
5) In the system applet - remote tab both check boxes are checked and domain users are in that group.
In the event log, I get no errors, only an informational message that states:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Time: 12:50:55 PM
Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD
.dll failed to load
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 6c 00 ......l.
0008: 00 00 00 00 1a 00 00 40 .......@
0010: 17 00 00 c0 6c 02 00 c0 ...Àl..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Can anyone help me figure this out?