Our company needs a good near-line backup and redundancy solution. I would like to know if the latest Storage Server and DPM combo offer greater benefits over Win Serv 2003 x64 and Backup Exec 7 . Are either combo easier to work with, provide more flexibility, or hidden limitations?
We're a small company that provides fast graphic design support for business consultants. Often, deadlines are under an hour.
1. Regular backup of Sharepoint and SQL from MOSS servers to a NAS. Incrementals at 30 min or less.
2. Mission completion: Create fast access to critical files in the event of main server failure. Local users can pull the files they need easily from the backup onto their desktop to complete a job that has a fast turn. Let the IT guys continue working on bringing the main server back online
WE ALREADY OWN
- Win Server 2003 x64
- Symantec Backup Exec Sys Rec 7
HARDWARE / OS
- Desktops: Mac and PC (Leopard, XP64)
- Servers: Dell 2900s running Win Serv 2003 Enterprise, MOSS 2007, SQL
CONSIDERING TO PURCHASE
- Dell DP600 with RAID 5 or just an empty Dell 2900 for our software
I'm looking at this from a business and operations perspective, but feel free to include any tech questions/considerations. All help appreciated.