My company is going to purchase and install the Google search appliance. We don't have it yet and don't have access to documentation, but they want some answers from me (I also won't be the one installing it). From what I've read, the Google algorithm bases it's rankings on number of times the search word appears on a page and possibly the number of links to the page. Here are the questions I'm getting asked:
1. Will it search within a powerpoint presentation (ppt or pps) for the search words like it does on an html page?
2. Will it search within a pdf file for the search words?
3. Can it search documents inside zip files?
3. Will it read keywords from the Microsoft Properties window in the Office products?
4. Will it search meta tag keywords on a page?
5. Will it let you do any customization on the rankings? For instance, if I have a webpage devoted to a subject, which has a number of links to individual documents such as pdf, ppt, documents etc, can we set it up to return the actual web page first and then the underlying documents?
We will have pages that do not necessarily have the search word on the page anywhere, but the page still relates to the general area, so we want it to return the page. Example, maybe I have a page that has information about various car models, but the work car and automobile are not anywhere on the page, but if the user searchs for Car, I want it to return this page as part of the search.
Any information would be useful. I've tried to tell them we can't really answer these questions until the search engine is up and running and we can test, but they still want answer right now.