We use ArcServe 11.1 (build 3200) for backing up data.
I started having issues last week. We run differenetial back-up on Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu amd Full backup on Friday. About a week ago I submitted a Fri full back-up tape to my boss. I had replaced the Friday tape with a brand new tape. Before removing the tapes, I right-clicked on Overland, Dismounted the tapes, replaced the tapes (we have four sets of tapes that get rotated), mounted the tapes and usually that`s all i have to do. Mon - Thu back-ups ran fine. Friday back-up failed and I received Unreadable Media on Friday tape. I dismounted the tape, pulled out the tray, reinserted the tray, mounted the tapes, formatted Friday tape and Unreadable media dissapeared from Friday tape. When I came in to the office on Monday, I found that Friday back-up failed. Anyway, i thought that the tape may have been bad.... Except the next day when I came in - Monday back-up failed also.
I dismounted the tapes, removed the tape tray, reinserted the tape tray, mounted the tapes again.
Then all 5 tapes receive UNreadable Media. I dimount/mount tapes, remove tray, format all 5 tapes.
Verified that the tapes received the serial numbers, located the serial numbers for Mon - Fri tapes in Save Set and moved the tapes to Scratch set. Tuesday`s backup worked, so I thought issue was resolved.
Wednesday`s backup failed. Well. There are two jobs, 1 for each server. The DC got backed-up but the file server partially failed. In DB there are 3 sessions for file server:
1 - Network Drives - backup incomplete
2 - User personal drives = Back-UP finished
3 - Failed.
I'm unable to reboot the server during the day and I'm new to this.
Can somebody explain what`s happening and how to resolve it. It just started happening since I formatted a new tape... Well from what I know it just started happening, since I recently took a new job.
I am new to this, please post instructions in more detail/step-by-step if possible.