Strange Exchange2003 bounces after migrating to new server
Posted on 2008-02-07
Environment I've inherited:
- Windows2003 domain with file server/users/etc, in domain1 & forest1
- Windows 2003 & Exchange2003, in domain2 & forest2
No idea why this was setup this way all separate. All users have accounts in both domains, they log into domain1 as primary and their Outlook is configured to point to Exchange in domain2.
To clean up this mess, I've setup a new Exchange2003 server in domain1, and matched up all SMTP addresses from the old Exchange server. I then exmerged all mailboxes to the new Exchange server.
For the most part this has been working fine for several days, but this issue is happening to one user's mailbox: replying to any email she sent *before* the migration results in a bounce from the new server, saying 5.1.1 e-mail account does not exist.
I compared her X400 addresses between old/new servers and thought that was an issue, so I added a second X400 address on the new server matching her old mailbox. No difference.
Then I examined emails sent by her from before the move: properties of the "FROM" address looks strange, I see the usual multi-tab properties window but allmost all fields on all tabs are empty. The only data is the DISPLAY NAME field which shows /O=FIRST ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=REBECCA
I'm not sure what's hapened, and it looks like a few more users are affected.
This is fairly critical so I'm assigning 500 points. Thanks