I have a VB .NET windows application that is slow to start up intermittently. My users are reporting that it can sometimes take up to 10-15 seconds. On startup, I have tried to minimize code to just show a form. No, splash screen, no database opens, etc. Couple of things that might be the cause.
1. The installer if I delete a file, say a Bitmap file, I notice that the file is recreated upon startup, so my installer must be checking the status of the application on startup. How can I make it stop doing this?
2. I do use logging and log a program start message on startup
3. I do use the application settings (am going to stop this because I find it unreliable any thoughts?)
4. The form has a fair amount of controls, maybe 30, but not a huge amount.
5. I do have one 32 bit Com object (Redemption) that gets loaded later, not a startup.
6. I do have a web component (SharePoint list), but no action at startup
Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.