Deploying SBS 2003 and 30 Vista workstations
Posted on 2008-02-08
Hello Experts. I have a medium sized SBS 2003 deployment coming up in a few months. It consists of an SBS 2003 standard server, 30 Vista desktops, 2 Vista laptops. I wanted to run a couple of things by the community:
1. I quoted an SBS Standard box with one NIC because they will not be using SQL and I will be setting up a Sonicawall or Watchguard so ISA is not going to be used. Does this sound reasonable?
2. What is the best way to deploy the desktops? I want to use either BDD 2007 or Dell's OpenManage to clone the machines. Does anyone have any experience imaging with SBS 2003? I ask becuase I know //server/connectcomputer is required and I would like to know of the best way to deploy these machine without sitting in front of each for ALL the software and networking installs. I was hoping to do one, then clone it with BDD and THEN go and run //server/connectcomputer once all of the machines are up and running with all software. Any info regarding deployments with SBS would REALLY help.
3. What is the best way to archive email? I use Journaling now, but is that really the best way to keep mail available so company executives can see any message if they need to?
4. What is the best way to backup SBS and Exchange currently? Tape is old and I'm thinking of a removable hard drive solution...
5. What is a good disaster recovery procedure? I've seen many, but is there any popular SBS template?
6. Is there a particular domain provider that works perhaps better than others in regards to SBS?
7. their mail is pop3 right now...is the POP Connector a solid means of using mail in Exchange 2003 or should I serve it onsite?
I know these are loaded questions but any suggestions, pointers or tips would be great...this is my first ground-up SBS install and deployment. I've run several SBS installs integrating new and old hardware, but this is the largest and first using ALL new hardware. Thanks!