- HP Pavillion
- Windows XP Home Edition SP2
- Basic SW loaded (office, Quickbooks etc, nothing fancy)
- Integrated NIC
- Norton 360 recently added
- Customer purchased 360 as a result of getting MALWARE warnings from a program claiming to remove Malware (I am not familiar with this Malware.exe).
- PC receives IP information address via DHCP (IP addr, DNS)
- PC cannot resolve Internet host names via DNS
- PC can get to web sites using ip address in place of Host name
Troubleshooting history (the following have been unsuccessful)
- LSPFIX, LSPFIX-1
- Netsh i i ir
- Windows support tools (Netdiag /test:Winsock passes test)
- Removed TCP/IP and reinstalled
- Attempted to uninstall Norton 360 (uninstall failed)
- Disabled Windows Firewall
- Set manual DNS server addresses
- NSLOOKUP does resolve a name to IP
- Ping results in "Ping request could not find host.....Please check the name and try again"
- Spybot S&D, AdAware failes
- I believe the TCP/IP stack is currupted or infected.
I am currently at a loss. This PC had a similar problem two years ago and LSPFIX resolved the issue. Now it does nothing.
Norton 360 will not uninstall completly. Unistall runs for hours but does not complete. Note that it does not freeze the uninstall or the PC, it just seems to be in a loop. So I can kill the process if wanted.