NTbackup Error during backup verification or restore

Hi

I am having some difficulty with NTbackup not being able to verify after a backup and not being able to restore from a backup tape.

We are using NTbackup on a Dell Poweredge 2600 running Windows 2000 Server, with an HP LTO Ultrium-1 drive(external, connected on Adptec PCI SCSI card).  There is a scheduled nightly backup and its been running fine for years.  

A few days ago, I had to restore some files that a user had deleted.  About 2 minutes into the restore, this error appeared:

Error: The device reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address. Error reported: Bus reset

The system log showed no errors, so I tried another tape.  Same error.  I ran a cleaning tape then tried again.  Same error.  So I rebooted the server and the Tape drive.

I tried the restore again with the same result.  So I decided to wait for the next scheduled backup and see if it ran okay.  When I checked the backup logs, I found that the last four backups ran okay but they all displayed the same error as above, in the verify status.

---
Verify Status
Operation: Verify After Backup
Active backup destination: LTO ultrium

Error: The device reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address. Error reported: Bus reset
---

I checked the SCSI cable connection
I checked for an IRQ conflict with the tape drive
 
Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance


gs-rhoAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
dovidmichelConnect With a Mentor Commented:
More likely a problem on the bus, if it was a problem with the drive chances are the result would be a sequential positioning error and not a bus reset.

I would have expected an event to be recorded from the Adaptec driver in Event Viewer System log.

As for cleaning the drive will indicate when it is needed.

You probably tried this already but power down the server, power down the tape drive, remove and reconnect the cable from both ends and also the terminator, now power up the tape drive and wait a moment, finally power up the server.
 
If there are any other devices on the bus remove them and try it again.

Configure the controller for, transfer speed 60mb/s, disable send start, disable domain validation, disable init 13.

Try a new cable and terminator.

Has the brand tapes changed recently.

Try moving the controller to a different slot.  

well that is everything that comes to mind.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.