Hi everyone, I hope someone is able to help me with this query...
What I want to achieve:
Send mail with Exchange via my ISP
- SBS 2003 Premium edition
- Exchange Server 5.5
- Web domain: tombevans.webhop.biz (dynamic DNS address hosted with Dyn-DNS.com)
- Orange broadband (I think I am going to change this to Be. I have been appalled with their lack of knowledge and general system functionality)
-POP3 Connector to download emails
-SMTP Connector set up to forward all mail to smtp.orangehome.co.uk
-basic authentication for SMTP connector eg username: firstname.lastname@example.org & pwd as per my orange online email
-User account (Tom) set up with email aliases including email@example.com (the primary email address)
I have set up SBS2003 as outlined above. Unfortunately, whenever I try to send email out, I receive the following error message in the queue section of Exchange: "The remote SMTP service rejected AUTH negotiation." I have a number of messages in the queue which simply cannot be sent because of this.
I assume that, as the message says, this is because my login details are not correct. I am very new to the whole exchange process - this is my first Server build, and I only started two days ago - so I may well have missed a trick or two. I wondered if someone could confirm that the details above are correct, and if not, what I should change. Assuming they are, I have a number of related questions:
- Do I have to contact Orange to get them to change settings on their side, I have read that some ISPs don't allow SMTP relay by default, so perhaps this is the problem?
- Should I have a dedicated domain for this site with specific mail server entries in DNS. If so, please recommend a hosting company that offers this service.
- As a general rule, is it better to have an ISP relay your mail via SMTP, or to have a backup MX such as the MailHop Backup MX service offered by dyndns.com for eg.
- What else am I doing wrong?
Thanks very much in advance, I'm sorry there are so many questions. If there is anything else that I can obtain to help with config settings, I will get them for you.