Experts need input... I have backup 2000 dc box (192.168.20.x)not a GC across an IPSec tunnel that crashed. My main DC (GC and all schema roles 192.168.21.x) is 2003. Please confirm the following process of what needs to be done and importantly number three and four below:
1. I need to remove the old DC from the metadata by cleaning things up any best practices/steps/links would be appreciated.
2. config new hw/2003 os, join to DC, and start replication. Any links/best practices for this would be appreciated, too.
3. When in the scheme of thins can I make the old crashed dc box name and ip reuseable for 'whateve' purpose on the network. I need them for use on a completely non-dc box that I need to setup for some apps that are tied to that name and ip.
4. Since my two remote sites are on different networks, how can I set this and add the replicating server (192.168.21.x) to the nw and commense replication while the box is at the main site. I do not think I can. I think I will have to replicate across the network? Do i also have to join the machine from across the network?
and check this
2. I will jump over this step cos its reall easy and straightforward
3. You can use old Name and IP (i did this 2 months ago also) as long as you NEVER bring old crashed PC online,and as long as you have succesfully done Metadata cleanup and run ADSIEDIT (from support tolls)to delete (Crashed DC account) if there is any !
4.Hopefully someone will answer you on this!