I have multiple MPP files that I can no longer perform a "Save As' (into Excel, csv, etc) on. I am now getting an "Operation failed" message box. There never used to be a problem, but now there is. It is affecting multiple users, not just myself. I don't have any idea even where to begin troubleshooting what is going on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chances are that you have some corruption some where in the project plan. There are 4 likely places the problem could be hiding:
4) Metadata, such as Calendars or custom field definitions.
Be careful following this procedure not to save over your original file!!!
1) Delete all of the Resources from the project plan. Do this by going to the Resource sheet and selecting all lines and then pressing delete.
2) Try to save the project. If the save fails skip to part II
3) Since the save succeed you now know that the problem was with the Resources or their assignments. Revert to a copy of the project with all resources. Find out which resource:
4) Delete half of the resources and try to save. if the save succeeds, revert to an older copy and try deleting 1/4 of the resources. In this way you can determine the resource causing the problem
[Sometimes more than one resource can be causing the problem. This makes toubleshooting more difficult, but the same principles can be followed.]
1) If it wasn't a resource causing the problem, start looking at tasks. Delete all the tasks and try to save. If the project save fails go to part III.
2) Revert to a project with all of the tasks. Delete half the tasks and try to save. Continue doing this binary search to find out what task might be causing the problem, similar to what's described above for Resources.
1) Problem in the metadata or hidden stuff.
2) Delete all tasks and all resources. If the project saves successfully, you probably missed something in the earlier steps go back to part I or II
3) If the save still fails, it will probably be fastest to just select all tasks and paste them to a new project plan. Otherwise you can use the "Organizer" to try deleting custom fields. I'd start with the calendars.
This procedure has helped me root out a lot of corruption...